Pages

Monday, May 4, 2009

Goooooooooal!

Yesterday I had a soccer game at 2 pm. It was a gorgeous day- a perfect, not hot temperature, a little breeze and lots of sun. I had been trying to convince Steve that he should bring Emma to the game so while I caught my breath on the sidelines I waited and watched for signs of my family. Into the second half of the game I heard my name, turned and saw Steve and Emma sitting on the bench!

Emma looked so darn cute dressed in her light-weight long-sleeves and my white Nike baseball cap. She was nestled on Steve's lap drinking from her sippy cup and eating raisins. It was so much fun! (At least for me.) According to Nick (a team member) Emma was saying "boom, boom" whenever someone kicked the ball. Steve told me later that she had been saying "goooal" when they first arrived as we taught her to do when someone says "soccer." Unfortunately, they did not get to see any goals so Emma gave up on the word "goal" and switched to "boom."

After the game, Emma got to meet some of my team mates. Lauren was shocked that Emma is only 18 months old because of how tall she is. Lauren said that Emma looks like she is almost 4 years old. Yikes! She made friends with Arrow, a dog, and tried giving my hat to a player from the other team. She just walked over to his bag, stuffed the cap in and started looking for something else. She might do well in countries that use the barter system!

Emma also had fun throwing and kicking the soccer balls that were lying around. Jill, whom Emma has met before, was showing her how to play catch. When Emma got bored of that (within a minute) she cruised around kicking the ball. She is already a better dribbler than Mama! :) When I mentioned that we need to get Emma a soccer ball, Steve agreed with the stipulation that it doesn't have to be tiny and made for toddlers- Emma was doing just fine with the size 5 balls!

PS My team won 1-0. The only goal scored was by Nick in the early part of the first half.

No comments:

Post a Comment