Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake cookbook

Sometime last year Nanie sent Emma a book that I had as a girl. (I was annoyed that she didn't actually send it to me but I will let that go.) It is called Strawberry Shortcake's Cooking Fun by Michael J. Smollin. Emma had us just read it to her like a storybook on a semi-regular basis. Every once in awhile she would say something about making a recipe and we would say, sure, someday.
Well, a couple weeks ago she made Daddy remember the recipes she wanted to try so he could tell me all about it.  He did and the next morning Emma checked in to make sure that Daddy had done his job. We marked the recipes with some sticky notes and I promised that we would make it happen soon. That weekend I added the necessary ingredients to the list. Sunday night we made "Berry Good Sundaes" with Neapolitan ice cream, strawberries, whipped cream, and crushed chocolate graham crackers. Emma was all smiles as she crushed the cookies into her glass.  I have to admit that I was just as excited. (I remember loving the book and dreaming about making the recipes, but I have no memories of actually using the book.) It was a magical dessert!

That week Emma helped me make "Roll-Up Sandwiches" for her lunches in two varieties: peanut butter banana and cream cheese and jelly pinwheels (cut roll-ups).  For afternoon snack we made "Apple Snackwiches" and some "Crackerwitch Castles."  It was a really fun week!

No comments:

Post a Comment