Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Swim lessons

Last week Emma had her first swimming lesson since last year. I didn't have enough to eat before hand so I was a little cranky, and late afternoons have Emma a little cranky, too. Watch out swimmers!  The class was similar to the previous classes, except that the kids start kicking, floating, holding onto kick bars and scooping with their arms on day one. Emma couldn't stop smiling! Except when she took a huge jump off the side and I didn't get my arms to her fast enough. Even with the waist floaties, she completely submerged before I pulled her up. Oops! She coughed a little and I swallowed the urge to coddle and went with pride instead. "Emma, you did so great! That was a huge jump! Just keep your mouth closed next time." She shook it off quickly but was very careful not to jump quite so high from then on (including today).
Today she did an amazing job of kicking and scooping. I lightly held my hands under her to gently push her back up if she needed it, but she was swimming on her own most of the time! (She did have the waist floaties on but still.) She might be part fish.
She really wanted to do everything by herself like choose a toy, grab the kick stick and the noodle. But the best part was that she can pull herself up on to the side of the pool all by herself! You could tell how proud she was of herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment