Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Making Up Songs

Today on the phone my grandma asked me if Emma is interested in music. I realized that the answer to that question might need to be addressed on this site- for posterity.
It amazes me how musical she is. Not in a prodigy sort of way. If that were the case I am sure that the piano would be used for more than just plunking and random song creation. Emma hasn't composed any sonatas or piano concertos or anything like that.
However, she does on occasion sit and sing songs while playing. She is in fact composing new songs every time, but sadly they are not recorded.
And she does not limit her song creation to her fleeting moments at the piano. Just yesterday morning- or was it this morning?- while she was feeding the dog Emma was busting out a classic song. I so wish that I could remember even a few of the lines. She was rhyming and singing about the dog and herself. She uses some techniques from songs we hear on the radio or (yikes) in the Frozen songs. Things like adjusting the intensity, volume and actual notes. It is pretty cool.
(It reminds me of my singing days as child. I have a vivid memory of sitting on the exercise bike in the creepy basement near the laundry space and belting out totally random tunes. I wondered what my family thought, if they could hear me, and was only a little embarassed when they teased me about my singing.)
We have talked about making music lessons a priority for the girls at some point. Piano and guitar are instruments we have here so that would be easy. But I wonder what Emma would choose if she had the chance to explore different instruments?  And voice is an instrument.

Annika also seems to have a musical bone. She reminds me of Boo in Monsters Inc.- in cuteness, pigtail likeness and the humming/singing characteristic.  I do not have memories of Emma singing much without intelligible words. but Emma talked earlier. Anyway, Annika has been able to hum Happy Birthday for awhile now. Tonight at the dinner table Annika started humming Happy Birthday,  which reminded me that it is Aunt Jan's birthday today. I asked Emma if she wanted to record a birthday video message for her. She was very eager so I recorded her singing Happy birthday while annika smiled along. Unfortunatley she did't hum while Emma sang. Stage fright perhaps.

Some of the best musical moments also involve Daddy. He is great at random singing songs about what is happening using familiar tunes mostly. Sometimes the tune is original.  Emma joins right in- most of the time- and the two of them laugh and sing. I love those moments. And it is clear that they do, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment