Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

For posterity (part 1): J.Bean


When I was pregnant we fondly referred to our baby as "J.Bean." It all started with the first ultrasound picture: the one that shows the "bean" in the uterus. Aunt Margaret coined "the bean" phrase, and after a serious name conversation that turned silly it had morphed into J.Bean. (Steve and I had a hard time deciding on names that we both liked- as many couples do. Many of our name conversations were fruitless and usually humorous, at least to us. They are the kind of stories, including the J.Bean one, that are followed by "I guess you had to be there.")

There are lots of fond memories of our lives at the time of J.Bean. J.Bean loved to poke her feet up into the ribs on my right side. By the 9th month I had gotten used to walking and sitting while leaning to the left. J.Bean visited Costa Rica when we went there for spring break in 2007. J.Bean went to a Chicago Cubs game. J.Bean was with us when we moved from Kenosha, lived with Great Grandma for one week, moved to a temporary apartment for 2 weeks, and finally moved to Madison. J.Bean had 4 baby showers in her honor: my 7th grade students threw the first one, my mom and sister-in-law threw the second one, my in-law family threw the third one, and my best friend threw the final one. The two family showers were in CA, which meant J.Bean had a nice, hot summer vacation. Until the 9th month I was loving my time with J.Bean, and then after that I could not wait to meet J.Bean and have my own body back. (Little did I know that it would take more than a year-and counting- to get my body back!)

The day before J.Bean was born I went to my week 38(?) appointment, and the doctor told me that I was 80% effaced and not dilated at all. She proceeded to tell me that it would probably be awhile before labor or delivery, but that they wouldn't let me go past week 42. What?! I was so upset that when I came home I called my best friend right away and cried. I think Paul (my brother-in-law who was staying with us) was probably freaked out! When Steve got home I was too depressed to make dinner or move off of the couch so we decided on Chinese food for dinner. It was delicious! J.Bean either loved Chinese food so much she wanted to try it for herself or it was so horrible she had to get away from it as soon as possible. Because...

That night (around 10:30) while reading in bed I felt and heard this weird popping sound. At first I thought that J.Bean was just up to some strange new kicking exercises (maybe some Chinese-stlye martial arts), but after a couple minutes I felt a little moist. I hobbled to the bathroom, sat on the toilet and realized, "my water broke!" I called out to Steve in the calmest voice I could muster. Since he was asleep at this point, my voice instantly aroused his suspicion and he came in fearing the worst I suppose. Anyway, after a couple of phone calls and grabbing the packed hospital bag we headed downstairs. Thank God for Paul! He stayed home with the dog and agreed to pick up my Aunt Jackie from the airport in two days.

15 minutes later we were at the hospital. A random hospital employee walked us the loooong way to the elevators and eventually to the birthing triage center. There were already a couple of women in labor so I had to wait in line. It wasn't for too long and it gave me time to go to the bathroom.

By 11:20pm when I had my first contraction I was hooked up to the many machines that they use to assess labor progress. We got to see J.Bean again (and for the last time in my womb) on the ultrasound screen. By midnight we were in our birthing suite and J.Bean was starting to show that she wanted out. Labor progressed rather swiftly and by 3:45am I was demanding an epidural (the narcotic was just....not.... working.... anymore). The rest is a haze of pushing, dull stretching achy feelings and crazy images of the hairy top of J.Bean's head. :)

At 8:32 am on October 19, 2007 J.Bean was born. She weighed in at 7 pounds 8 oz, 21 inches long, with Apgar scores of 9 across the boards. Apparently they don't give out 10's. She was beautiful! and loud! I hated being separated from her while they cleaned her up, measured her and made sure she was 100%. Meanwhile I had to endure the doctors very extended tutorial (for the med students and residents) of how to sew up a tear in (my) perineum. Yep. Not only were there at least 4 people standing down near my feet, the doc was taking the opportunity to poke, prod, explain and stitch, all while I was becoming more and more conscious of my nakedness. I distracted myself by deciding what I wanted to have for breakfast, while wishing that I could hit him on the top of the head with the menu! Just stitch me up please, it is getting a bit drafty in here!

I will never forget the first time I breastfed Emma. She latched right on. Her head was so small that I could cover her with one hand. It was precious.

Paul, Aunt Jackie, and our friends, Darcy and Steve all came to see us in the hospital and meet Emma. Good memories! Aunt Jackie had been planning her weekend visit awhile before J.Bean made any noise about joining us in the real world. Even though it was weird for Paul and her to stay at our house without us, it was a great time for all of us. They bonded, of course. :) And Emma was greeted by two representatives of both sides of the family. They both have a special place in our hearts.

J.Bean stayed J.Bean until we decided to name her Emma Katherine the next morning. And then new nicknames were coined: Emma Bear, Emma Gemma, little one, pine nut, sweet pea, sunshine, bearcub, cublet, peanut...

No comments:

Post a Comment