Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Like mother, like daughter

Emma has been watching me breastfeed Annika since day 1. Sometimes she stares. Sometimes it doesn't seem like she notices much. She has seen me use a breast pump a couple of times; that's the only time I feel really weird, but I try not to let it show. I just redirect her somewhere else.

Yesterday there was Emma with her plastic binoculars and a baby doll bottle. She pops her arm out of the sleeve of her shirt, tugs up the hem and proceeds to arrange the binoculars as follows. One lens of the binoculars was positioned over her nipple, the baby bottle inserted into the other end, one finger pressing up and down on a certain spot on the binoculars. We didn't make a big deal of it and said something Oh isn't that nice that you are pumping milk for your baby. (We gave each other a look though.)

A little later I took Annika in the other room to nurse her, and after a few minutes Emma came in with her breast pump. She sat down on the couch right next to me and pumped away. I calmly asked her if I could please take her picture. Emma said, "No because you don't see women getting their pictures taken do you?"

Nope I guess not. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment