Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Doing Stylish

Late this afternoon Emma was riding her scooter around and around the kitchen table saying, watch how fast I can go! So I said, why don't you see how fast you can go outside? Emma replied very enthusiastically, OK!

So we went outside. She places one foot on the seat and pushes the sit-down scooter with her other foot. She can get going pretty fast. And then it didn't take but 10 minutes until she was ready for a break. She politely asked for her Winnie-the-Pooh chair, which I placed on the front stoop.

Emma: This is our house. I'll sit here and you sit there.
She pointed to the chair that always is on the stoop. So I sat.
Then she went inside and when I was really beginning to wonder what she was doing, out she came, wearing some slippers and carrying some odds and ends of her things (bracelet, hair ties, silly bandz).
Emma: This is our house and these are my things. And this is my basket.
She placed the things in her upside-down helmet. Then we sat there for a few minutes and she asked me if I was making dinner.

Mommy: No. We are having leftovers, but maybe I should make more rice. I think I should. I'll go inside and be back once I start the rice. Dinner won't be too long from now.
Emma: OK.
When I came back to check she had gotten some bright chalk, some sticks and a pine cone.
Emma: Look, Mommy!
Mommy: What are you up to?
Emma: Well, this is my house.
Mommy: OK, but what is that pile of sticks?
Emma: That's my fire.
The sticks had been placed on top of a patch of orange with a pink edge.
Emma: Those are the flames. (Pointing to the pink edge)
Mommy: How creative.
Emma: Here is my marshmallow that I am roasting.
Emma picked up a stick and jammed the pine cone on the end of it and shoved it at her fire. I chuckled. She is so imaginative!
Emma: Here eat this!
Emma shoved the marshmallow at the door and I made eating noises.
Emma: Come out here.
Mommy: I will come out once the rice is covered and simmering.
A few minutes later I went back to the front door. Now Emma was intently drawing something off to the side of the fire.
Mommy: What are you drawing?
Emma: This is my smore! Look!
Mommy: That's awesome! It looks so tasty.
Emma: Come out here Mommy.
I went outside and sat and watched her. After she completed the smore (a purple and green creation) she drew a pink table.
Emma: Am I doing stylish?
Mommy (smiling at the use of the word): Yes, that is a stylish drawing.
Emma: Yeah, it is. I am going to draw a person right here.
She drew two vertical lines, humphed to herself and said, "I am going to draw me as a toddler."
So then we talked about how old a toddler can be.
Emma: This is me as one to three.
Mommy: You are so cute and colorful.
Emma: I am, aren't I?
I don't know if we were talking about the drawing or the real-life Emma! She was covered with chalk at this point. :)  And so stylish!

No comments:

Post a Comment