Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

Still Spring Break

Wednesday and Thursday were tough days. Emma kept asking about when it was going to be Easter and school days again. And she made some poor choices. And I didn't handle that very well. :)
Today, however, was much better. We enjoyed a nice breakfast and Emma said that she wanted to decorate more cookies. (We baked some Easter-shaped cookies yesterday afternoon and evening.) She happily decorated a family of sheep and ducks, utilizing her creative skills to the extreme. (It gave me some time to wipe down the kitchen cabinets.) Then it was off to the dentist. She watched some cartoons on the monitor while my teeth were cleaned, and she minded her manners quite well. But when we had to wait for 10 minutes for the dentist to inspect my teeth it started to get dicey. "Too boring," she said of the commercials that came at the top of the hour. "Change it," she demanded. I used her water cup to rinse my mouth and she huffed and puffed while dumping out the water and throwing out the cup. "You used my cup. That one was for me, not you," she declared. So we ended up wasting a cup anyway. Thankfully the hygienist showed Emma the stylus for signatures and things turned around. When it came time for Emma to hop in the chair, she was an angel. IT was her first dentist appointment so Jenny M. showed her all the tools before hand and tested them out once first, too. When the hygienist showed Emma the water gun and the suction hose, I said that was my favorite part of the dentists. "No, it's my favorite, too, " says Emma.
Emma guessed that she had 500 million teeth, but there were only 20.  She looked a little nervous during the tooth polishing and rinsing, but she always said she was fine. (Emma chose blue raspberry tooth polish.) The flossing caused one area to bleed a bit and I thought she was going to cry. However, she held it together and was fine after rinsing. She was a brave girl and I was so proud of how she handled the whole experience. We took home a flosser, toothbrush, a Dora sticker (that she promptly put on my chest), and a mini yellow football.
Since we left the dentist's at just before noon, we called Daddy and asked him to join us for lunch. When we picked him up he suggested Crema Cafe- a favorite, local breakfast and lunch spot.  Emma got her usual Gobblette plus a juice box. We had the best, well-mannered lunch out! Emma was sad that Daddy had to go back to work. When Steve got up to throw trash away Emma asked, "Did Daddy leave?" I said that he didn't and that we needed to give him a ride to work. "Oh yeah, because he can't take the car because then we would have to walk all the way home. How would we figure that out?"  She got quite the chuckle out of that scenario and it cheered her up that we drove Daddy back to work.
At home Emma asked why her mouth bled when it was flossed. So I explained that once you floss regularly it usually isn't a problem any more. "So are we going to floss my teeth?"  Yes I said and she was happy.
After following her sleep rules she played in the basement while I did some rearranging. While I made dinner she played outside on the play structure. When Steve came home she was still outside and we heard a horrible sound so we went running. She had hit her head on a beam and fallen off the ladder. There she was sitting on the grass with tears streaming down her face. Thankfully she had not fallen on the dog poop pile that was very close by; that would have just added insult to injury. Emma was fine, but Daddy carried her in anyway just because. (I hate that I can't pick her up!) Inside we determined that she sort of slid down the curved plastic climbing ladder, which meant she avoided a serious fall and potential injuries. Whew.
We enjoyed a delicious home made pizza feast. Despite my protests that the first pizza was bland, Steve and Emma both claimed to like it. Emma's declaration made me smile. Unfortunately a poor choice involving the bracelet I asked her not to play with at the dinner table meant she didn't get dessert. A bowl of fruit took some convincing and when she said, "I'm still hungry," she had another slice of pizza. She sang some lovely made up songs while finishing up. It was very dear.
For five minutes of fun we had a jamming session. Emma gave me the tamborine, Steve got vocals since he needed his hands for doing dishes and Emma relented when he said he couldn't hold the microphone. Emma took drums and the harmonica. It was quite the sound! Then it was off to bed, off to bed. What a great day! Good night; sleep tight; I love you. Ditto.

No comments:

Post a Comment