Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

Emma the Ballerina



Yesterday was Emma's last day of pre-ballet so the parents were invited to watch.  Emma had a little cold so I could tell she was slightly uncomfortable with a drippy and stuffy nose. I was amazed at how closely she watched her teachers to try and get the movements just right. She is also incredibly flexible! In butterfly stretch her knees almost touch the ground!
After warm-up they went right to practicing their animal movements/positions. From one corner to the diagonal opposite corner the line of girls hopped like bunnies, fluttered like fairies or swung their arms and legs like elephants. Emma was confident enough to do each movement; the first time I watched, she was too nervous to try some of them.  I was impressed with her form and secretly amused when her legs crossed the wrong way. I happened to be sitting at one corner so I was right in the mix of girls before they headed back to the other side. Emma gave me a snuggle hug every time!
Then the class looked at a painting of Starry Night by Van Gogh. They talked about how they could make their bodies look like parts of the painting. The girls came up with most of the elements- looking like a tree, the moon, moving like water or stars. Then they acted it all out. When it came to the moon, Emma promptly sat on the ground and twisted her legs and upper body to make the curve of a crescent moon. I was so impressed! Her teacher commented on it as well. Such a creative young dancer!
The class lined up at the end to their super secret special dance for us. The girls supposedly choreographed it by choosing the order of the movements. Emma's curtsy is so cute!
On the way home Emma told me that her favorite movement was the bunny because she jumped so high so almost touched the ceiling! I captured her completely air-born with the camera. Emma and Daddy watched the short video clips and looked at all the pictures when we got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment